South German School, 17th century, A set of forty six mythological scenes that made up the ceiling decoration in the Schloss Niederrödern. Estimate 20,000 — 30,000 GBP. Photo Sotheby’s.
all oil or gouache on canvas, unlined
all hexagonal and irregular canvases approx.: 60 by 133 cm.; 23 5/8 by 52 3/8 in.
square canvases approx.: 60 by 60 cm.; 23 5/8 by 23 5/8 in.
PROPERTY OF THE PRINCELY HOUSE OF REUSS Ä.L.
Provenance: Schloss Niederrödern in Saxony, confiscated during the so-called “Bodenreform” 1945-1949 by the authorities of the Soviet occupied territory in the later GDR and placed in Dresden. Restituted to the family of the present owners on basis of the Ausgleichsleistungsgesetz in 2013
Note: Castle Niederrödern, which no longer exists, was situated in Saxony, 24 kilometres northwest of Dresden. It was built in the early fifteenth century by the knights of Rödern and a series of beautiful wall-paintings dating from this period were discovered shortly before its destruction. In the mid-1500s the castle passed into the ownership of the Petzschwitz family who modified it into a Renaissance « water castle“, adding the notable feature of an outdoor winding staircase. The castle was subsequently lived in by Otto von Starschedel and during the latter half of the seventeenth century by the Barons von Taube and later still by the families von Bothmer and von Berpach. From 1752 the castle was owned by the Countess of Nassau-Saarbück, before it was taken over by the Countess von Reuss. In 1945 the castle was occupied by the Russian military, and was destroyed in 1948.
View of the room at Schloss Niederrödern with the paintings still in situ (Courtesy Landesamt für Denkmalpflege Sachsen)
Coat of Arms of the princely house Principality of Reuss-Gera.
Sotheby’s. Of Royal and Noble Descent, Londres, 24 févr. 2015, 10:30 AM