Mots-clefs

, , , , , , , , , , , , ,

1

E.W. Godwin (1833-1886), Eagle Chair. Oak, original leather upholstery, 90.5 x 70.6 x 60.8 cm. England, probably William Watt (manufacturer) (1857-1887), 1870s. H. Blairman & Sons Ltd (stand 183). TEFAF 2015 Antiques (13-22 March 2015)

The present example follows precisely the design published in William Watt’s catalogue Art Furniture Designed by Edward William Godwin, 1877, pl. 11

Provenance: Godwin conceived this model for Dromore Castle in about 1869; the original design is in the collection of the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA Ran 7/BI [51])

Literature: Susan Weber Soros, The Secular Furniture of E.W. Godwin, New Haven and London, 1999, pp. 94-95, no. 114

2

Hart, Son, Peard & Co., Lectern. Brass, mounted with onyx, embellished with encaustic enamel. Width of book rest 166 x 72 cm, England, Hart, Son, Peard & Co. (1842-1913), circa 1870. H. Blairman & Sons Ltd (stand 183). TEFAF 2015 Antiques (13-22 March 2015)

Provenance: Probably supplied to George H.R.C.W. Vane-Tempest, 5th Marquess of Londonderry (1821-84), for the chapel at Wynyard Park, County Durham; Thence by descent

H. Blairman & Sons Ltd. Director: Martin Levy

H. Blairman & Sons Ltd, established in 1884, is now directed by Martin and Patricia Levy, representing the fourth generation of this family-run business.
Building on its established reputation as a dealer in eighteenth- and early nineteenth-century English and French furniture and works of art, Blairman’s has developed, over the past four decades, a strong interest in furniture and works of art designed and manufactured by architect/designers during the later nineteenth century and first decades of the twentieth century.

Publicités