Mots-clefs

, , , ,

16

Ex-Boris Ivanowski, vainqueur de sa classe au Double Twelve de Brooklands en 1930. Alfa Romeo 6C 1750 Gran Sport 1930. Carrosserie James Young. Châssis n° 8513030/28. Estimate €1.2 million – 1.4 million (£930,000 – 1.1 million). Photo: Bonhams.

PARIS.- An ex-works Alfa Romeo 6c1500/1750 Grand Sport once raced by exiled Russian Imperial Guardsman, Boris Ivanowski, is to star in Bonhams Grand Palais Paris auction on 5 February.

Boris Ivanowski was an officer of the Russian Imperial Guard who, exiled in Paris after the Russian revolution, went on to make his fame in the 1920s as a racing driver. His career excelled when he became a works driver for the British Alfa Romeo Team ‘Stiles’, leading him to compete in several major events including the Brooklands Double Twelve, in which he came 8th overall and was class winner – all while driving the Alfa Romeo 6C offered in Bonhams sale.

Under British ownership for 84 years, the short-chassis Alfa is offered with an estimate of €1,200,000-1,600,000 (£930,000-1,200,000).

Philip Kantor, Head of the Continental European Motoring Department, said: “This is a pristine and complete Alfa Romeo of the 1930s with a glorious race history, once driven by the world’s most famous Russian racer. Sympathetically preserved and carefully restored, it’s rare to find such an original Alfa.”

téléchargement (10)

The Alfa Romeo 6C 1750 Gran Sport was an exciting fast sports car combining minimum weight with sparkling performance. The chassis was low and lightweight, featuring semi-elliptical springs that passed through the front axle. The 6C 1750 would go on to be victorious over much larger and more powerful machinery, the triumph of balance, quickness and almost thought-control responsiveness.

The 1750’s sporting career, aided by its mechanical longevity, extended far beyond its production, amassing countless wins, including 1-2-3 finishes in the Mille Miglia, and top results at Targa Florio, the Tourist Trophy and Spa 24 Hours in 1930.
Nuvolari, Marinoni, Ivanowski, Campari and Varzi all recorded successes in Vittorio Jano’s ‘light car’ and the model is, quite simply, a legend.

Having been granted the sole concessionaire for Alfa Romeo in Britain in 1924 F.W. Stiles actively built up the Alfa Romeo brand during the early 1920’s operating as Alfa Romeo British Sales Ltd.
As reflected in his November 1949 article in Motor Sport F.W. Stiles recounts that he had ordered three Grand Sport Alfa Romeos early in 1930.

17

He had sourced drivers who had regularly handled these cars to assist in driving them in events. One of these drivers was Boris Ivanowski. Boris Ivanowski was an officer of the Russian Imperial Guard who went into exile in Paris after the Russian revolution and made his way to fame in the 1920’s as a racing driver. He was a works driver for the British Alfa Romeo Team ‘Stiles’ and competed in the major events there such as the Brooklands Double Twelve, Irish Grand Prix, Tourist Trophy Race. Driving Alfa Romeos to wins in 1929 he went on and won the Spa 24 Hours in 1930 together with Italian Attilio Marinoni and also the Irish Grand Prix in 1930. Ivanowski later went on to race other cars, including a Mercedes SSK.

Stiles took possession of a batch of competition Alfa Romeos at the start of the 1930 racing season. One of these 8513028, arrived with no coachwork to be used in mainly British events whilst in Stiles hands. 8513028 is documented as the Double Twelve Ivanowski car fitted with its first English racing body. Ivanowski finished 8th overall and was class winner.

Following the racing season chassis number 8513028 features in the Alfa Romeo British sales Ltd. records as having been bodied for the Motor Show ‘mounted with Young Coupe, black coachwork and chrome wire wheels’. In January 1931 the 6c1750 was sold by Stiles under a new registration number GN 4568 and tagged as chassis 8513030.It was delivered to its first owner Lionel G. Maller on February 6, 1931, as a new car.

According to a letter on file from Angela Cherrett dated April 21st 1998, on review of her Alfa Romeo British Sales Ltd archives, Mrs. Cherrett states, ‘I have discovered a mention of 8513028. This says Car nr. 8513028 Chassis nr 8513028, 1750cc see 8513030 Raced Double 12 Ivanowski’s …..1930, then there is a space in the ledger for the purchaser – L.G.Maller.’
Maller retained the Alfa from 1931 to 1935 and exchanged it against an 8c2300 Alfa. The Alfa was then sold to Dr. Lionel Lankester of Guildford, Surrey in 1935 from whom it was acquired by John King of Guildford. In 1957 the car was acquired by the Alfa Romeo enthusiast Geoffrey Wilson, an official of the Alfa Romeo Section of the VSCC.

The next change of ownership was in 1961, when the Alfa went to Michael Miller in Scotland who owned it for some 30 years, passing the Alfa to a Surrey resident who lives no more than 12 miles from the original place of delivery in 1931. From 1993 the Alfa has seen constant road and rally use, competing in the Nassau Speed Week Revival and driven by the late Phil Hill who was a great fan of the 6c1750.

Since the Nassau week the Alfa was driven to Italy where it was used as a chase car in the 2002 Mille Milgia on one part of the course trailing an 8c2300. Sympathetically restored in 2013 it retains all of its original major components and James Young coachwork.

Recently inspected by marque specialists Jim Stokes Workshop Ltd. Alfa Romeo number 8513030 was found to carry chassis number 8513028, gearbox number 8343066, a factory prepared (17×27 gransport ratio), steering box number 8153060 (4×26 special sports ratio also used on George Eystons Brooklands car), front axle 8363049, and rear axle diff: 8483062, rear axle housing 11/51 and crankcase number 8523047. The original radiator is numbered #24. During inspection it was also noted that the original holes for the leather bonnet straps were present as were the holes for the cycle wings, all evidence of its early racing career. The bonnet on the car is the original with deeper sides modified by James Young. A hole in the original aluminium floor for the auxiliary oil tank pipe is also still apparent. The report by Jim Stokes Workshops Ltd. dated January 8th 2015 is on file.
All of these components have always been associated with 8513030 and the Alfa Romeo hand written register compiled by Geoffrey Wilson is evidence of this. As that register lists all the parts installed on the Alfa as of 1952 – each number is still visible on the car today including the original bonnet number and that on the Memini DOA 21mm carburetor N101263.

Bonhams are exceptionally proud to offer an opportunity here to purchase something truly magnificent, historic, and authentic. Considering its fascinating, well-understood and documented provenance, a continuous ownership history including one of the founder members of the Alfa Romeo Register, all carefully documented in the substantial history file accompanying the car, 8513030 as presented today offers unparalleled historic value, authenticity and originality. It is a rare occurrence today for a motorcar of such significance to come to auction and Bonhams recommend close inspection by any interested parties.

15

Ex-Boris Ivanowski, vainqueur de sa classe au Double Twelve de Brooklands en 1930. Alfa Romeo 6C 1750 Gran Sport 1930. Carrosserie James Young. Châssis n° 8513030/28. Estimate €1.2 million – 1.4 million (£930,000 – 1.1 million). Photo: Bonhams.

L’Alfa Romeo 6C 1750 Gran Sport était une voiture de sport fascinante et rapide, combinant poids minimum et performances maximales. Le châssis était léger et surbaissé, avec des
ressorts semi-elliptiques passant à travers l’essieu avant. Elle allait l’emporter contre des machines bien plus grosses et plus puissantes, triomphe de l’équilibre, de la rapidité et d’une réactivité quasi instantanée.

La carrière sportive de la 1750, servie par une longévité hors pair, continua bien après l’abandon du modèle, glanant de nombreuses victoires, parmi lesquels des triplés aux Mille Miglia, et des résultats flatteurs à la Targa Florio, au Tourist Trophy et au 24 Heures de Spa en 1930. Nuvolari, Marinoni, Ivanowski, Campari et Varzi ont tous connu le succès au volant de la « voiture légère » de Jano et elle est tout simplement devenue une légende.

Seul concessionnaire attitré d’Alfa Romeo pour la Grande-Bretagne à partir de 1924, F. W. Stiles s’attacha à valoriser la marque au début des années 1920 sous le nom d’Alfa Romeo British Sales Ltd.

Comme il le racontait dans un article de Motor Sport en novembre 1949, F. W. Stiles avait commandé trois Alfa Romeo Gran Sport au début de 1930. Il avait fourni des pilotes qui avaient régulièrement engagé ses voitures dans différentes courses. L’un de ses pilotes était Boris Ivanowski, un officier de la Garde Impériale Russe qui s’était exilé à Paris après la révolution et se rendit célèbre comme pilote dans les années 1920. Il était pilote d’écurie pour la British Alfa Romeo Team de Stiles et avait couru dans les courses les plus importantes, au Double Twelve à Brooklands, au Grand Prix d’Irlande et au Tourist Trophy.

Glanant les victoires avec son Alfa Romeo, il remporta les 24 Heures de Spa en 1930, avec l’Italien Attilio Marinoni et le Grand Prix d’Irlande en 1930. Ivanowski pilota d’autres voitures par la suite, notamment une Mercedes SSK.

Stiles prit possession d’un lot de trois Alfa Romeo de compétition au début de la saison 1930. L’une d’elle, châssis n° 8513028, arriva sans carrosserie et participa surtout à des épreuves britanniques en sa possession. Des documents confirment que 8513028 est la voiture d’Ivanowski au Double Twelve équipée de sa première carrosserie de compétition (voir photo). Ivanowski termina 8e au classement général, premier de sa classe. 

À la fin de la saison, le châssis n° 8513028 figure dans le registre d’Alfa Romeo (British Sales) Ltd comme ayant été habillée pour le Salon avec une carrosserie par James Young de couleur noire avec des roues fils chromées. En janvier 1931, la 6C 1750 fut vendue par Stiles sous une nouvelle immatriculation, GN 4568, et enregistrée sous le numéro de châssis 8513030. Elle fut livrée à son premier propriétaire Lionel G. Maller le 6 février 1931, comme une voiture neuve. 

Selon un courrier d’Angela Cherrett du 21 avril 1998 qui se réfère aux archives d’Alfa Romeo British Sales Ltd, (lettre qui se se trouve au dossier accompagnant la voiture), celle-ci écrit « j’ai découvert une mention de 8513028. Elle dit : « voiture n° 8513028, châssis 8513028, 1750 cm3 voir 8513030, pilotée par Ivanowski au Double Twelve…1930 », puis après un espace dans le registre pour l’acheteur – « L. G. Maller ». 

Maller garda l’Alfa Romeo de 1931 à 1935 et l’échangea contre une Alfa Romeo 8C 2300. Elle fut ensuite vendue au Dr Lionel Lankester de Guildford, dans le Surrey, en 1935, auquel elle fut rachetée par John King de Guildford. En 1957, la voiture est achetée par le passionné amateur d’Alfa Romeo Geoffrey Wilson, membre de la section Alfa Romeo du VSCC (Veteran Sports Cars Club). 

Le changement de propriétaire suivant intervint en 1961, lorsque l’Alfa Romeo passa aux mains de Michael Miller, en Écosse, en la possession duquel elle resta pendant 30 ans. L’Alfa passa ensuite à un résident du Surrey qui vivait à moins de 20 km du lieu de sa première livraison en 1931. À partir de 1993, l’Alfa Romeo a été régulièrement utilisée sur route et en rallye, courant au Nassau Speed Week Revival pilotée par le regretté Phil Hill qui était un grand amateur de la 6C 1750.
Depuis la course de Nassau, l’Alfa a été conduite en Italie où elle fut utilisée comme voiture suiveuse au Mille Miglia en 2002 sur une partie de l’épreuve derrière une 8C 2300. 

Restaurée avec soin en 2013, elle conserve ses éléments d’origine les plus importants et sa carrosserie James Young. 

Récemment inspectée par le spécialiste de la marque, l’atelier de Jim Stokes Workshops Ltd. l’Alfa Romeo 8513030 s’est avérée porter le numéro de châssis 8513028, la boîte de vitesse numéro 8343066 (préparée par l’usine avec un rapport spécial Gransport de 17 x 27), le boîtier de direction 8153060 (rapport sport de 4 x 26 également utilisé sur la voiture de George Eyston à Brooklands) et le différentiel arrière 8483062, carter d’essieu 11/51 et carter moteur 8523047. Le numéro d’origine du radiateur est le 24. Au cours de l’inspection, on a également pu repérer que les trous pour les sangles de capot originales étaient bien présents, ainsi que les trous de fixation des ailes motocyclette, indices de sa carrière sportive initiale. Le capot de la voiture est celui d’origine avec des côtés plus échancrés modifiés par James Young. Un trou dans l’aluminium du plancher pour le tuyau du réservoir d’huile auxiliaire est également visible. Le rapport de Jim Stokes Workshops Ltd. daté du 8 janvier 2015 figure au dossier. 

Tous ces éléments ont toujours été associés à 8513030 et le registre Alfa Romeo compilé et écrit à la main par Geoffrey Wilson le met en évidence. Ce registre détaille toutes les pièces installées sur l’Alfa en 1952 – chaque numéro étant toujours visible sur la voiture aujourd’hui, y compris le numéro du capot d’origine ainsi que celui du carburateur Memini DOA 21 numéro N101263. 

Bonhams est particulièrement fier d’offrir cette opportunité d’acheter un véhicule aussi magnifique, historique et authentique. Si l’on prend en considération sa provenance impressionnante, détaillée et bien documentée, son historique des propriétaires continu – incluant l’un des membres fondateurs de l’Alfa Romeo Register – parfaitement documenté dans le dossier fourni avec la voiture, 8513030 telle qu’elle se présente aujourd’hui affiche une valeur historique, une authenticité et une origine sans pareilles. C’est un événement rare aujourd’hui qu’une voiture d’une telle importance se présente à une vente aux enchères et Bonhams recommande une inspection méticuleuse par tous les acheteurs intéressés. 

2118 19 20

Ex-Boris Ivanowski, vainqueur de sa classe au Double Twelve de Brooklands en 1930. Alfa Romeo 6C 1750 Gran Sport 1930. Carrosserie James Young. Châssis n° 8513030/28. Estimate €1.2 million – 1.4 million (£930,000 – 1.1 million). Photo: Bonhams.

THE 1931 ALFA ROMEO 6C 1750 4TH SERIES SUPERCHARGED GRAN SPORT SPIDER:

Previously owned by Italian F1 hero Guiseppe Campari, the 1931 Alfa Romeo 6C 1750 4th Series Supercharged Gran Sport Spider is another Alfa Romeo starring in the Bonhams Paris sale, estimated at €1,800,000-2,400,000 (£1,400,000-1,800,000).

Campari had begun working for Alfa Romeo as a teenager, and by the outbreak of WWI had established himself as a formidable competitor on the racetrack, finishing 4th in the 1914 Targa Florio. Post-war, his first major victory was achieved at the 1924 French Grand Prix driving an Alfa Romeo P2, and he would go on to win the Coppa Acerbo (1927 and 1930), Mille Miglia (1928 and 1929) and the Italian Grand Prix (1930). Tragically, after joining Maserati for the 1933 season he was killed in an accident at that year’s Italian GP.

Campari didn’t own the 6C for very long, as by the 31st December 1931 the car was registered to one Mario Vanoni of Portoferraio, Elba. Described by Michael Frostick (Alfa Romeo Milano) as, « Among the finest ever made both from the point of view of engineering and driver satisfaction, » the 6C is among the rarest of pre-war Alfa Romeos.

2

Formerly the property of Giuseppe Campari. 1931 Alfa Romeo 6C 1750 5th Series. Supercharged Gran Sport Spider. Coachwork by CarrozzeriaZagato. Chassis no. AR 108 14314. Engine no. AR 108 14314. Estimate €1.2 million – 1.4 million (£930,000 – 1.1 million). Photo: Bonhams.

« La 1750, et pour les mêmes raisons la 1500… font partie des plus raffinées jamais construites, tant en ce qui concerne la technique que le plaisir de conduite. »Michael Frostick, Alfa Romeo-Milano.

C’est en 1923 qu’Enzo Ferrari persuada, ni plus ni moins, Vittorio Jano de quitter le service compétition de Fiat pour le rejoindre chez Alfa Romeo. Jano, l’un des ingénieurs automobiles les plus doués et les plus remarquables de tous les temps, ne se contenta pas de concevoir les monoplaces du service compétition d’Alfa Romeo, mais conçut également ses modèles de tourisme. Cette heureuse implication explique que ces dernières figurent parmi les plus excitantes de leur époque, assurant à la marque milanaise une réputation de constructeur de voitures pour conducteurs sportifs sans égal. Dérivée logique de la Tipo 6C 1500, elle-même héritière de l’invincible P2 de Jano qui avait remporté le championnat du monde en 1925, la Tipo 6C 1750 arriva en 1929, propulsée par une variante du six cylindres de la 1500 portée à 1 752 cm3. Déclinée en versions Turismo à simple arbre à cames et Sport à double arbre (plus tard rebaptisée GranTusimo), la 6C 1750 était une excitante et très rapide voiture de tourisme, combinant légèreté et performances extrêmes, capable d’atteindre les 120 km/h, selon le type de carrosserie. Il existait également une version SS qui évoluera par la suite en « Gran Sport ». La plupart de ces voitures étaient carrossées par la carrozzeriaZagato ou la carrozzeria Touring, James Young habillant la majorité de celles qui furent importées au Royaume-Uni. La carrière sportive de la 1750 GS, servie par une longévité hors pair, continua bien après l’abandon du modèle en 1933.

La très belle 1750 Gran Sport que nous avons là, portant le châssis numéro 14314, sortit de l’usine de Milan le 20 avril 1931 et fut immatriculée au nom d’Alfa Romeo SA le 20 août de la même année. Carrossée par Zagato, elle fut vendue le 29 décembre 1929 au pilote d’usine Alfa Romeo Giuseppe Campari. Il avait débuté chez Alfa Romeo adolescent et à la veille de la première guerre s’était révélé un redoutable compétiteur sur circuit, terminant 4e de la TargaFlorio en 1914. Après guerre, il avait remporté sa première victoire majeure au Grand Prix de France 1924, au volant d’une Alfa Romeo P2 et allait remporter la Coppa Acerbo(1927 et 1930), les Mille Miglia(1928 et 1929) et le Grand Prix d’Italie (1930). Pour la saison 1933, il était parti chez Maserati et s’était tué dans un accident au Grand prix d’Italie cette même année.

Campari ne garda pas 14314 très longtemps, car le 31 décembre 1931 la voiture était immatriculée au nom d’un certain Mario Vanoni de Portoferraio, sur l’île d’Elbe. Le propriétaire suivant, enregistré le 15 mars 1945, Littorio La Rocca, était aussi un résident d’Elbe. Le 19 septembre 1949, l’Alfa Romeo était vendue à Anthony Baker de l’ambassade britannique à Rome. Il faisait apparemment partie du corps diplomatique, puisque le changement de propriétaire suivant intervint pendant qu’il stationnait à Berlin, la voiture passant aux mains de son collègue diplomate Martin Bowe le 6 octobre 1952.

Le changement de propriétaire suivant se fit le 8 septembre 1960 au quartier général de l’armée américaine stationnée en Europe, à Francfort, le nouveau propriétaire étant le capitaine Lesco Kaufmann du 54e bataillon de transport, qui fit rapatrier l’Alfa Romeo chez lui à Baltimore, aux États-Unis. En octobre 1969, sa veuve vendait la voiture à John C. North d’Easton, dans le Maryland, qui la conserva pendant plus de 17 ans.

Vendue par l’intermédiaire du très respectable marchand Londonien Dan Margulies en janvier 1987, 14314 devint la propriété de Jürg Brigel de Féchy, en Suisse. En sa possession, l’Alfa Romeo fut entièrement restaurée par les spécialistes réputés Cognolato et Bonfanti. M. Brigel vendit ensuite l’Alfa Romeo à l’actuel propriétaire, résidant à Zurich, en avril 1994. Les factures de la restauration, entreprise à la fin des années 1980, figurent au dossier avec les factures d’entretien et de réparation qui comprennent la réfection du compresseur par l’atelier spécialisé de Jim Stokes en 2006. Quelques modifications pratiques ont été apportées à la voiture dans un souci de sécurité et de fonctionnalité, comme un ventilateur de refroidissement, une pompe à essence électrique (à la place de l’Autovac) et la conversion de la culasse à l’essence sans plomb.

Sous la responsabilité du vendeur, 14314 a été engagé avec enthousiasme dans plusieurs des plus prestigieux événements historiques européens comme les Mille Miglia (quatre fois), le Mitiche Sport Bassano (cinq fois), le Klausenrennen, le Gaisbergrennen, laTransappeninica, ainsi que les concours d’élégance de la Villa d’Este, Automobiles Classiques & Louis Vuitton à Bagatelle, etc… Décrite par le vendeur comme étant en très bon état général, la voiture est vendue avec sa trousse à outils, un manuel d’instruction original et un catalogue de pièces détachées original. La documentation comprend une copie d’EstrattoCronologicode l’ACI, ses papiers de la FIA et de la FIVA, sa carte grise suisse et une lettre de l’experte de la marque, Angela Cherrett. U jeu de cinq roues fil et un manuel d’instruction d’Alfa Romeo 6C font partie de la vente.

Passionnément recherchée, l’Alfa Romeo 6C 1750 Gran Sport à compresseur est l’une des voitures d’avant-guerre les plus convoitées. La piloter est une expérience de conduite sportive à grande vitesse particulièrement gratifiante. Prisée et appréciée par ses différents propriétaires de ces vingt dernières années, 14314 est sans l’ombre d’un doute l’une des plus désirables des Alfa Romeo d’avant-guerre disponibles aujourd’hui.

‘The 1750, and for that matter the 1500… must be among the finest ever made both from the point of view of engineering and driver satisfaction.’ – Michael Frostick, ‘Alfa-Romeo-Milano’. 

It was in 1923 that Enzo Ferrari, no less, persuaded Vittorio Jano to leave FIAT’s racing department and join him at Alfa Romeo. One of the most gifted and influential automobile engineers of all time, Jano would not only supervise Alfa Romeo’s Grand Prix racing programme but also design its road cars. This happy state of affairs resulted in the latter emerging as some of the most exciting of their day, establishing the Milanese marque’s reputation for producing sporting driver’s cars second to none. Logical derivative of the Tipo 6C 1500, itself directly descended from Jano’s all-conquering P2 that had won the World Championship in 1925, the Tipo 6C 1750 arrived in 1929 boasting a derivative of the 1500’s six-cylinder engine enlarged to 1,752cc. Built in single-cam Turismo and twin-cam Sport (later renamed Gran Turismo) variants, the 6C 1750 was an exciting fast touring car combining light weight with sparkling performance, more than 75mph being attainable, depending on coachwork. There was also a supercharged ‘SS’ version, which later evolved into the ‘Gran Sport’. Most of these cars carried coachwork by CarrozzeriaZagato or CarrozzeriaTouring, with James Young being responsible for bodying the majority imported into the UK. The 1750’s sporting career, aided by its mechanical longevity, extended far beyond its production, which ceased in 1933. 

The beautiful 1750 Gran Sport offered here, chassis number ‘14314’, was despatched from the Milan factory on 20th April 1931 and first registered to SA Alfa Romeo on 20th August that same year. Bodied by CarrozzeriaZagato, the car was sold on 29th December 1929 to the Alfa Romeo works driver Giuseppe Campari. Campari had begun working for Alfa Romeo as a teenager, and by the outbreak of WWI had established himself as a formidable competitor on the racetrack, finishing 4th in the 1914 Targa Florio. Post-war, his first major victory was achieved at the 1924 French Grand Prix driving an Alfa Romeo P2, and he would go on to win the CoppaAcerbo (1927 and 1930), Mille Miglia (1928 and 1929) and the Italian Grand Prix (1930). For the 1933 season he joined Maserati, only to be killed in an accident at that year’s Italian GP. 

Campari did not own ‘14314’ for very long, for on 31st December 1931 the car was registered to one Mario Vanoni of Portoferraio, Elba. The next recorded owner, from 15th March 1945, is another Elba resident, Littorio La Rocca. On 19th September 1949 the Alfa was sold to Anthony Baker of the British Embassy in Rome. Mr Baker would appear to have been a member of the Diplomatic Corps, as the car’s next change of hands is recorded as occurring while he was stationed at the British Embassy in Berlin, ownership passing to fellow diplomat Martin Bowe on 6th October 1952. 

The next recorded change of ownership occurred on 8th September 1960 at the United States Army’s European Headquarters in Frankfurt, the new owner being Captain Lesco Kaufmann of the 54th Transport Battalion, who had the Alfa shipped back to his home in Baltimore, USA. In October 1969, his widow sold the car to John C North of Easton, Maryland who kept it for the next 17-plus years. 

Sold via the highly respected London-based classic car dealer Dan Margulies in January 1987, ‘14314’ was next owned by Jürg Brigel of Féchy, Switzerland. During MrBrigel’s ownership the Alfa was fully restored by recognised specialists Cognolato and Bonfanti. MrBrigel sold the Alfa to the current, Zürich-resident owner in April 1994. Invoices for the restoration, which was carried out in the late 1980s, are on file together with all bills relating to subsequent maintenance and servicing, which has included rebuilding of the supercharger by the renowned Jim Stokes Workshops in 2006. Some sensible modifications have been made to the car in the interests of convenience and safety, including fitting an electric cooling fan and an electric fuel pump (replacing the Autovac) and converting the cylinder head to unleaded compatibility. 

While in the vendor’s care, ‘14314’ has been enthusiastically campaigned, participating in many of the most prestigious European historic motoring events including the Mille Miglia (four times), Mitiche Sport Bassano (five times), Klausen hill climb, Gaisbergrennen, Transappeninica, as well as the concoursd’élégance of Villa d’Este, Louis Vuitton Bagatelle, etc. Described by the private vendor as in generally very good condition, the car comes complete with tool kit, an original instruction manual and an original parts catalogue. Accompanying documentation consists of a copy of the ACI ‘EstrattoCronologico’, FIA and FIVA papers, Swiss Carte Grise and a letter from marque authority Angela Cherrett. 

Enthusiastically sought after, the supercharged Alfa Romeo 6C 1750 Gran Sport is one of the most coveted of all pre-war sports cars. Driving it is one of the most rewarding high-speed motoring experiences imaginable. Cherished and enjoyed by the enthusiast owner for the last 20-plus years, ‘14314’ is without question one of the most desirable pre-war Alfa Romeos currently available.

Publicités